1½ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1 cup bananas, ripe and mashed
½ cup sugar or ½ cup Splenda sugar substitute)
¼ cup canola oil
Nonstick cooking spray
1. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together egg whites, banana, sugar, and oil.
3. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until just moistened.
4. Spray an 8x4x4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread batter into pan.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near middle comes out clean.
6. Cool bread in the pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack; for easier slicing, wrap bread in plastic wrap and store overnight.
You may freeze these loaves for up to 3 months, when wrapped in aluminum foil and stored in a sealed plastic bag. It is really a good way to use up those ripe bananas and is especially nice to have on hand when unexpected company shows up. I have substituted applesauce for the oil and sometimes I add a little nutmeg for extra flavor. This is one of my favorite recipes!