Makes 6-8 servings in 8X8 pan
1 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/2 (16 ounce) package honey graham crackers
2 2/3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (2 Tbsp + 2 tsp)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and 1/2 cup milk; mix well. Fold in whipped topping and beat with mixer on high for 2 minutes.
2. In a buttered 8X8 pan, spread a thin layer (1/3) of graham crackers on the bottom.
3. Spread 1/2 of the pudding mixture over crackers, then top with another 1/3 of graham crackers. Spread remaining pudding over crackers; top second pudding layer with remaining graham crackers.
4. To make topping: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine remaining milk, the cocoa and sugar, and allow to boil for 4 minutes, whisking constantly; remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Mix well and cool.
5. Pour cooled sauce over graham cracker layer and refrigerate until set; serve.
This is one of Lea’s favorite recipes, dating back to her days in Home-Economics in high school, and it easily scales up and down to fit your needs. For smaller batches, with less sugar, the boiling time to thicken will be slightly less. Need a recipe for a large group? We scaled this recipe up to produce 48 delicious servings in two hotel pans. You can find it here.