2 cups sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
½ cup water
Crushed hard candies
1. Stir together sugar, corn syrup, and ½ cup water in a medium saucepan until blended.
2. Place over medium-high heat, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 305-315 degrees or until the mixture begins to turn a golden color (about 25 minutes). Caution: the temperature goes up very quickly above 300 degrees, and the mixture will burn before it reaches 320!
3. Remove from heat and stir until the color is evenly distributed, using a clean wooden spoon.
4. Carefully place the bottom of the sauce pan in cold water to stop the cooking process. Remove from water and let stand 2 minutes until just slightly thickened.
5. Sprinkle crushed hard candy of your choice (I used lemon) over a piece of parchment paper.
6. Carefully spoon about 1 tbsp hot syrup over the candy in swirls and random patterns, creating a variety of shapes about 2 ½-3 inches each. If the syrup gets too thick to spoon, simply reheat about three minutes.
7. Let the candy swirls cool about 10 minutes so they can be lifted without breaking. These can be used for eye catching garnishes on many desserts. Used here on Tres Leches.