Makes one 10″ cake pan (about 8-12 servings)
1 cup light brown sugar
6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
1 jar maraschino cherries
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. for a shiny metal or glass pan, or 325 degrees for a dark or nonstick pan.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of the cake pan.
3. Mix the brown sugar and melted butter until combined. Cover the bottom of the pan with the mixture.
4. Line the bottom of the pan with drained pineapple slices. Place a drained cherry in the center hole of each slice.
5. Combine the cake mix, water, oil and eggs and mix on slow speed for about 30 seconds, scraping sides often.
6. Pour mixture evenly into pan, covering the pineapple slices.
7. Bake as directed on the cake mix box, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and dry.
8. Remove from heat. Place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool 15 minutes before inverting to remove from the pan.