Serves 6 (serving size about ¾ cup ice)
1 cup cabernet sauvignon or other dry red wine
1 cup water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed berries
1 orange, thinly sliced
2/3 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
¼ cup sugar
6 orange slices (optional)\
6 mint leaves (optional)
1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl
2. Cover and chill 8 hours
3. Remove orange; discard
4. Press berry mixture through sieve over a bowl; discard solids
5. Combine berry mixture, juice and sugar in an 8-inch dish, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover and freeze 45 minutes.
6. Stir berry mixture with a fork every 45 minutes until completely frozen and slushy (about four hours)
7. Remove berry mixture from freezer; quickly scrape mixture with a fork until fluffy and fill serving cups.
We had this as dessert with our Christmas dinner. It was so refreshing, and is an excellent dessert to serve after a big meal. Garnish each cup with an orange slice and add a green mint leaf to make it look very festive.