5 Large oranges, peeled & supremed
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1. Grate one of the oranges to collect a teaspoon full
2. Remove peel from oranges and discard the peel
3. Supreme* the oranges over a medium bowl to collect the juices and orange segments
4. Combine the brandy, grated orange peel, and honey in a medium saucepan
5. Stir over medium-low heat just until syrup is bubbling at edges, about 6 minutes
6. Pour mixture over orange segments. Stir once just to combine hot and cold elements.
7. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.
*Supreme merely means to cut out the segments between the white pithy membranes
1. Microwave the brandy, honey, and grated orange peel on HIGH for about a minute or until mixture comes to boil (keep an eye on it, as microwaves vary).
2. Pour over orange segments in shallow dish, cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve orange slices over vanilla ice cream topped with syrup.
This is a simple dessert to make, and can be used in so many different ways. We always satisfied diners by serving on chilled dessert plates, with vanilla ice cream on the side for those that liked it that way. Others combined it with a slice of chocolate cake, or over a scoop of cottage cheese. The variations are almost endless, which means you can put your imagination to work, knowing that the flavor of the oranges is going to elevate your offering.