1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced
1 tbsp Worcestershire seasoning
3 tbsp olive oil
½ cup apple juice
½ cups water
1/3 cup Tone’s Brown Gravy Mix
1 cup instant mashed potatoes prepared as directed on packaging
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1. Cut steak into bite size pieces.
2. Sprinkle with Worcestershire seasoning and salt.
3. In a 10-inch skillet heat the olive oil to medium high.
4. Add the steak and quickly sauté to get a brown edge, but do not fully cook, leaving the centers rare.
5. Reduce heat to medium and add ½ cup water and the apple juice.
6. Cover, and allow the steak strips to simmer 8-10 minutes, or until the liquid reduces by half and the steak is browned.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the instant mashed potatoes as directed on the packaging. Cover and allow to stand.
8. When the steak is ready, move the meat to one side of the pan, and allow the juices to run to the side of the pan toward you.
9. Slowly add the brown gravy mix to make a roux-like consistency, and then work in more of the liquid to make a brown sauce.
10. Toss the steak strips in the sauce.
11. Add fresh ground pepper.
Serving suggestion: Place a helping of the potatoes on each plate, and top with steak strips and spoon extra gravy on top. This makes a very rustic and hearty meal, and be served as shown here with a slice of buttered bread and a side salad with balsamic vinaigrette.