2 Cornish hens, thawed, rinsed and patted dry with paper towel
1 large Navel orange
1 cup water
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp corn starch
Directions for hens:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Prepare hens by cutting them in half along the breastbone and both sides of the backbone, discarding the backbones.
3. Season all sides of the hens with salt and pepper.
4. Place on an uncovered half sheet pan, skin side up, and roast 15 minutes.
5. Turn halves over, skin side down, and pour 1/2 cup of water in the pan. Reduce heat to 425 and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Turn halves over again, add 1/2 cup water, and bake an additional 30 minutes.
7. Remove the sheet pan from the oven, and allow the hens to rest 10 minutes.
8. Plate, brush on glaze, and garnish with parsley.
Directions for glaze:
1. Grate the orange into a sauce pan to obtain 1 tsp or more of zest.
2. Slice the orange in half and squeeze the juice into the sauce pan.
Heat thoroughly, but do not boil.
3. While the hens are resting, stir in the corn starch to thicken, stirring constantly.
4. Brush on hens and serve immediately.