2 pounds lean sirloin beef, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 can beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup baby carrots or 2 medium carrots sliced
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper
3 pounds red or white potatoes
¼ cup half and half
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Sauté beef in 2 tablespoons oil until browned, stirring to brown evenly.
3. Season with salt, pepper. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, mushrooms, onion, and carrots. Stir to mix.
4. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until beef and vegetables are tender.
5. Thicken with a flour slurry (3 tablespoons of flour mixed in small amount of water).
5. Add peas the last 5 minutes of cooking.
7. While the stew is simmering, cook potatoes in salted water until tender.
8. Mash the potatoes in large bowl with half and half and butter, season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. When stew is done, pour into a 9×13 casserole dish. Let cool slightly, and spread potatoes evenly over the layer of stew.
10. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top.
11. Bake for 40 minutes until top is crispy brown.
This is a really tasty version of Shepherd’s pie, with the pan juices combined with the beef broth. Serve this with a fresh garden salad and you have a great meal. Pure homemade goodness!