¾ pound lean ground chuck
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon milk
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon1 vegetable oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon dry red wine, optional
1. Combine ground beef, pepper, salt, seasoned salt and bread crumbs. Shape into 4 patties.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; fry the patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
3. Remove patties to warm plate and keep warm. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
4. Add mushrooms to the drippings and cook until tender.
5. Add flour to the skillet; stir until hot and bubbly.
6. Add the beef broth and wine, if using; cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened. Pour over the steaks and serve.
These hamburger steaks taste just great, and feature that all-beef flavor. You can also add a little red wine to the gravy while cooking it, for even more, deeper, flavor. Serve these with mashed potatoes (with a scoop of the gravy) and your choice of vegetable for a rich, comforting, meal.