Served at Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City Royals)
Recipe makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon(s) canola oil
1/2 cup(s) chopped onion
1 cup(s) sauerkraut or new kraut (which is less tangy), well rinsed, drained
4 sun-dried tomato halves (not in oil), diced
1/2 teaspoon(s) caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) ground pepper
2/3 cup(s) dry white wine
4 top-split hot dog buns
1/3 cup(s) Thousand Island dressing
4 slice(s) (1 ounce each) Swiss cheese
4 all-beef hot dogs
4 bread-and-butter “sandwich stacker” pickles, halved lengthwise
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onion and sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
2. Add sauerkraut, tomatoes, caraway, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 minutes.
3. Add wine and bring to boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes or until wine is absorbed.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Heat a stovetop grill pan over medium heat. Toast insides of buns on grill pan, 2 minutes.
6. Spread insides of buns with half of the dressing, then nestle 1 slice cheese in each bun over dressing.
7. Grill hot dogs all over, about 3 minutes. Place in buns and put on a baking sheet.
8. Spread tops of hot dogs with remaining dressing, then spoon warmed sauerkraut mixture down the middle.
9. Lay pickle halves along each side.
10. Place dogs in oven for 3 minutes or until cheese melts.