Adapted from a Bobby Flay recipe: Read more
8 Kosher hot dogs, boiled
8 Hot dog buns
Spicy brown mustard, as needed
Cooked sauerkraut, as desired
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
Onion Sauce Process:
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and saute until they are soft.
3. Stir in the honey, cinnamon and chili powder and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the ketchup, water, hot sauce, salt and black pepper.
5. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool to room temperature before serving.
(Chef’s Note: The sauce can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days.)
Spread the bottom half of each bun with some mustard.
Put the boiled hot dog onto the bun.
Top each hot dog with the onion sauce or sauerkraut or, even better, both.