1 (5 lb) skin-on turkey breast
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp kosher salt
1/2 cup fresh ground peppercorns
1. Preheat oven or roaster to 325 degrees F.
2. Clean and wash the turkey breast and pat dry with paper towels
3. Place the breast on a baking rack in a 9 X 13 baking pan, or on a rack in an electric roaster
4. Thoroughly lubricate the skin with vegetable oil
5. Sprinkle a heavy coating of fresh ground black peppercorns to cover the exterior as completely as possible. Pat on peppercorns where needed to fill.
6. Roast the breast for 2-2½ hours, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees at the center
7. Remove the breast from heat, cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will rise 8-10 degrees during the rest.
I like to use an electric roaster for most whole chicken and turkey recipes, because the roaster will collect the steam, condense it on the lid, and drop it back onto the bird, constantly basting it as it cooks. The skin comes out beautifully browned and very flavorful. This is another reason you don’t lift the lid while the cooking process is underway.