1 pound Polish or other garlic flavored sausage.
1 pound sauerkraut, fresh or canned, drained (rinse for mild flavor, or don’t rinse for sour flavor)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp brown sugar (if you want to lean toward sweet)
1 Tbsp apple juice (if you want to lean toward sweet. Excellent WITH brown sugar)
1 tsp celery seed
Fresh ground pepper to taste
mustard or catsup to taste
1. Combine the oil and butter in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
2. Slice the sausages into ½ thick slices and add to very hot skillet.
3. Sauté the sausages until lightly browned on both sides (about four minutes)
4. Reduce the heat, with the sausages still in the skillet, to medium low
5. Add the wet sauerkraut and all other ingredients to the skillet, stir to combine, cover, and cook 30 minutes to heat through.
6. Sauce with deli-style mustard for savory flavor, or catsup for sweet-sour.
At our house we let everyone season at the table, adding our favorite flavor as we are plating our side dishes. This recipe is outstanding when served with potatoes. You can serve mashed, baked, boiled, or, we like sautéed German style sweet sour and, occasionally, our horseradish and sour cream mashed potatoes.)