Serves 12 (9 X 13 casserole)
2 1/2-3 pounds ground or shredded beef
4 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups chopped onion
4 carrots, diced small
1 rib celery, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 (14 oz) can whole corn, drained
1 cup frozen peas
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil over medium high heat until shimmering.
3. Add the onion, celery and carrots. Saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine.
4. Add the ground or shredded beef, salt, pepper, and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. 5. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute or so.
6. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme,and tarragon and stir to combine.
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
8. Add the corn and peas to the mixture and spread evenly into a 9 X 13 casserole. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal. Smooth with a moistened rubber spatula.
9. Place the casserole on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.