5 lb free-range roasting hen
¼ cup butter
2 tsp molasses
1 cup tangerine juice
1 tbsp Lemoncello
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tangerines, juiced, skin reserved
1 tbsp tangerine zest
2 tsp kosher salt
1. Preheat oven or roaster to 350 degrees F.
2. Clean and wash the roasting hen and pat dry with paper towels
3. Remove the wings and discard or freeze for stock
4. Sprinkle ½ the salt into the cavity
5. Place the tangerine skins inside the cavity, and tie the chicken legs together
6. Thoroughly lubricate the skin with butter and season with the remaining salt
7. Combine the tangerine juice, lemon juice, zest, Lemoncello and molasses to make a basting liquid. Set aside.
8. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes, or until the skin begins to brown
9. Baste the entire bird with the liquid, applying as often as needed to keep the skin moist
10. Cook another 45 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170 degrees at the center of the thigh. (Cook’s note: Done means the juices run clear when a sharp knife is inserted into the joint between the body and the thigh)
11. Remove the roasted chicken from the oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes before carving.
Serving Suggestion: Place the liquid from the drip pan into a sauce pan over medium high heat, stir in 1 tsp cornstarch to thicken, and any flavoring you desire. Serve over the sliced chicken.