1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons honey, divided
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons orange juice
16 Belgian endive leaves (about two heads)
16 small orange sections (about two navel oranges)
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese
1 tablespoon minced chopped chives
¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine chopped walnuts and 1 tablespoon honey, and spread on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, stir after 5 minutes.
4. Combine 1 tablespoon honey, balsamic vinegar, and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook until reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 5 minutes).
5. Fill each endive leaf with 1 orange section. Top each section with 1 teaspoon cheese and 1 teaspoon walnuts, arrange on plate. Drizzle vinegar mixture evenly over leaves; sprinkle evenly with chives and pepper.
I have used romaine lettuce for this recipe, and it is okay, but the endive is much better, as the bitterness is such a nice contrast to the sweetness of the orange and the honey roasted nuts. You can serve this both as an appetizer or a salad with equal success.