1 pound bacon, diced
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Cook bacon until crispy
2. Remove bacon to paper towel covered dish to drain and cool
3. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat
4. Combine flour, sugar, salt
5. Mix well with 1/2 cup water, let stand in mixing container
6. Heat vinegar and remainder of water to hot (do not boil)
7. Add the hot liquid to dry ingredients, stirring well
8. Add the mixture to the bacon fat still in skillet, and cook to desired consistency. (If gravy like texture is desired, you can bring to a brief boil. Overcooking will cause it to congeal into a thick ball)
9. If desired, you can crumble the bacon and add to salad.
10. Pour over your salad of choice and devour immediately.
Larry loves this dressing on any salad, and developed this recipe for an outstanding zesty sweet-sour flavor! He has used it on Wilted Swiss Chard and Wedge salads, on Mozzarella and Tomato salads, and even Cobb salads. Every one is delicious!