4-6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large, firm, head Iceberg lettuce, cut into 4 or 6 wedges, as desired
1 small bottle ranch-style dressing
1 Granny Smith apple, julienned*
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
½ cup carrots (julienned)*
2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
1 small green Bell pepper, julienned*
1 rib celery, finely diced
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
(See Candied Pecans, below)
*Julienne, or allumette, is a culinary knife cut in which the food item is cut into long, thin, strips, similar to matchsticks.
1. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble when cool, and set aside.
2. Combine dressing, garlic and basil. Stir well.
3. Top each lettuce wedge with dressing and sprinkle with toppings. Finish with bacon and blue cheese. Place pecans around the base of the wedge.
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
1 cup pecan halves
1. Combine ingredients except pecans in a skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until candy thermometer shows 220 degrees.
2. Remove from heat; add pecans and stir until well coated. Spread on wax paper and separate with fork.