1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 2/3 cups very cld milk
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 oz Velveeta
6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup crushed croutons or saltine crackers
1 TBSP butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the flour in a large saucepan over medium heat
3. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended
4. Cook until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently
5. Add cheeses, and cook 3 minutes or until cheeses melt, stirring constantly
6. Remove from heat, and stir in cooked macaroni and salt to taste
7. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray
8. Combine crushed croutons or crackers and butter in a small bowl, and stir until well blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly browned.
Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite dishes! For my mac and cheese casserole toppings, I use left over French or Italian bread, Melba toast, croutons or even saltine crackers. If you want a little bit of a twist, take a look at my Creamy Four Cheese Macaroni!