Makes 9 X 13 casserole
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, browned
1/2 pound bacon, chopped, fried, drained
Two 16-ounce cans pork and beans
1 can French fried onions
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sweet molasses (not blackstrap)
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1. Mix together ketchup, molasses, mustard, pork and beans, salt, and pepper.
2. Sautee onions and bell pepper, then add to the seasoning pot.
3. Brown the beef, and stir into the seasoning pot.
4. Cover, and cook on high heat for 1 hour, or until pot boils.
5. Ladle contents into casserole. Sprinkle French fried onions to cover.
6. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 300 for 2 hours.
7. Uncover and bake 30 minutes before serving.
This is a ground beef and pork-and-bean casserole with a BBQ flavor. Serve with cornbread.