3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 large sweet onions, peeled and diced
1 pound Brussels sprouts
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper
1. Brown the un-salted butter in a large iron skillet.
2. Add diced onions, cook on medium-high heat, tossing frequently until onions are nicely browned and just starting to get tender.
3. Cut each Brussels spout in half, trim bases, remove outer leaves, and add to skillet.
4. Toss frequently until they are well browned on the cut sides and just starting to turn bright green outside.
5. Add enough chicken stock to barely cover Brussels sprouts, add the bay leaf and stir in the thyme.
6. Bring stock to a simmer and cook until vegetables are just tender and liquid has reduced nearly all the way. Add more stock to pan if liquid reduces before vegetables are tender.
7. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve Brussels sprouts in their sauce.
This is a delightfully flavorful side for almost any meal. The prep on the spouts actually goes more quickly than you might expect, and the results are so tasty this might become one of your new favorites.