6 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced or shaved
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a greased shallow 2 ½ quart baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
4. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
6. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
These are really tasty with fennel’s licorice-like flavor, and is a nice change from the usual scalloped or au gratin potato casserole.