Ingredients for 8″x8″ casserole:
1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
3 medium gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/16-inch thick slices
1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
1 cup milk
1 tbsp butter, cold
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup grated Romano cheese (creamy), asiago cheese (saltier), or parmesean cheese (salty and nutty)
2 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rub the cut side of the garlic clove on the bottom and sides of a 2½ quart covered baking dish.
3. Bring the ricotta or cottage cheese, cold butter and milk to a slow simmer in a medium saucepan.
4. Add the Romano cheese and red pepper, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
5. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
7. Place the potatoes and sauce into the baking dish, and top with the bread crumbs.
8. Cook until the potatoes are tender, approximately 55 minutes
9. Remove the cover from the baking dish and bake 5-10 minutes until the bread crumbs are browned.
10. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
11. Sprinkle chives over the top just before serving.