3 large sweet onions
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
15 ounces beef broth
15 ounces chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 loaf Ciabatta bread
Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley tied together with kitchen string
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt, divided
Ground black pepper
1/2 cup Gruyere or Fontina cheese
1. Set electric skillet to 325 degrees and add butter. (Medium hot setting on stove top)
2. Thinly slice onions and cut slices into halves.
3. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little Kosher salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet.
4. Cover, and let cook, undisturbed, for 20 minutes; then stir each 20 minutes, allowing the onions to turn dark mahogany and reduce to about 2 cups. (About 1/2 hour).
5. Add wine, turn heat to medium high, and reduce the wine to a syrup consistency.
6. Add beef and chicken broths, salt and pepper, and the bouquet-garni.
7. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
8. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Prepare Bread Rounds
1. Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and preheat the broiler.
2. Slice the bread in half to make a large bun.
3. Cut top and bottom crusts from the bread and cut rounds to fit oven-safe soup bowls.
4. Place the rounds on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute to lightly brown.
1. Remove and discard the bouquet-garni.
2. Ladle soup into crocks or soup bowls, leaving at least one inch from the top.
3. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and cover with grated cheese.
4. Broil 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is lightly golden brown.
5. Serve hot.