Makes 12 servings
1/4 loaf Lightly buttered sandwich bread slices (crusts removed, crumbled, reserved)
6 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 (14.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp diced red pimiento
1 (14.5 oz.) can mushroom soup
1 (14.5 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 doz. eggs
3 cups milk
1. Line 9X13 pan with lightly buttered sandwich bread slices
2. Mix chicken, cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, pimientos, mushroom soup, corn and mayonnaise.
3. Pour equally over layers of bread in pan. (This may be done a day ahead and refrigerated.)
4. When time to bake, beat eggs, salt and milk. Divide this mixture over top of chicken in pan.
5. Top with bread crumbs.
6. Bake 1-1/4 hours at 350 degrees until set.
This very basic recipe can be taken in any direction you like by adding additional flavors or textures like vegetables, pasta, or whereever your whim takes you at the time. I always have homemade Emeril’s Essence on hand, and use a pinch or two of that to take the flavor Cajun.
Need a recipe for larger groups? Click here.