Serves 4 (4 oz) beef servings & 4 cups broth
3 (10.5 oz) cans beef broth
1 Bay leaf
1/4 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/4 tsp deep roast instant coffee*
1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
8 slices provolone cheese
4 Bolillo, hoagie, or similar sandwich rolls, sliced lengthwise
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Add the beef broth to a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat
3. Add bay leaf, instant coffee, steak seasoning, and pepper (adjust to taste)
4. Bring sauce to a slow boil for one minute, then reduce to medium heat
5. Place roast beef into the hot liquid to soak for 15 minutes
6. Open the sandwich rolls and lay out on a non-stick cookie sheet face up.
7. Place 2 slices of provolone on the top portion of each roll
8. Heat in oven for 5 minutes until cheese just begins to melt
9. Remove bay leaf from the hot liquid, and pour into 4 serving bowls suitable for dipping
10. Place 4 ounces of sliced meat onto bottom portion of bun and close
*Adding small amounts of instant coffee to the liquid will bring out the beefiness, but too much quickly turns the flavor bitter. Start with a small amount and add more to develop the flavor you desire. The key is to add a little, taste, add a little, taste . . . .
If you’re cooking for a large group, we have scalable recipe for 48 on our cooking4groups website.