1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
¾ cup (3 ounces) shredded Fontina cheese or Swiss cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) fresh Parmesan cheese,grated
½ cup (2 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 ounces light Velveeta
6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup crushed onion Melba toast or croutons
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry-measuring cup leveling with a knife. Place the flour in a large saucepan
3. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended
4. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently
5. Add cheeses, and cook 3 minutes or until cheeses melt, stirring constantly
6. Remove from heat, and stir in macaroni and salt
7. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray
8. Combine crushed toasts and butter in a small bowl, and stir until well blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
This is very good combination of cheese flavors, and makes 8 servings. Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite dishes, and I think you will really like this recipe! For a traditional mac and cheese, try my Baked Macaroni and (Cheddar) Cheese recipe.